Built with concrete in 1939, Olympic Blvd. in Los Angeles is continuing to hold up very well – virtually maintenance free for 75 years!
The Concrete Solution for Streets and Roads
The fast, safe and reliable transportation of people and goods is dependent on durable, low maintenance streets and roads. Concrete pavements consistently achieve this high level of performance and most often have the lowest total ownership costs because they require less maintenance. In addition, concrete streets and roads have a long history of exceptional environmental performance.
Benefits of Using Concrete for Streets and Roads
Vehicles traveling on concrete streets use less fuel because the rolling resistance is much lower than on other paving materials.
Concrete streets also are naturally light-reflective which reduces lighting requirements saving energy and providing a safer nighttime environment.
Documents and Resources
- Study of Historical Concrete Pavements in California – April 2017
- Article – End of The Road For 1920s Concrete In Santa Monica
- Project Profile – Sepulveda Boulevard Widening Project
- Project Profile – West Sacramento Bridge District Concrete Pavement
- Long-Life Concrete: How Long Will My Concrete Last? – NCPTC
- Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement – FHA